Monday, June 16, 2008

My Treasures on a Hunt!

So, when we got to Layton park (same day as the pictures below), the kids scurried to the merry-go-round, and Brian disappeared. I sat on a swing with Bridger and kept my eye on the kids. I had no idea where Brian had gone. I was getting a little concerned after it'd been about 15 minutes. Where the heck did he go? Why didn't he tell me what he was doing?

Well, after 20 minutes of disappearance, he reappeared! He was excited and intense while carefully hiding a paper in his hand. "Where are the kids?" I pointed out that they still hadn't left the merry-go-round. "Well, I've got to hide this somewhere." I am completely confused. "Hide what? Where were you? I was worried. Is everything ok?" He is pretty focused on something and just says, "Yeah. I gotta hide this though." I reach my hand so I can steady his. I finally see what he is frantic about (other than the paper part). It is a map he's drawn. "Awh, cute. You drew a map! Is this what you've been doing for 20 minutes?" Brian is still in a one-track mind set, and replies, "Well yeah, that is what I was doing. I told you I was leaving." I think he got that I was still a little confused. "I drew a treasure map for the kids. I need to hide it." I'm thinking, Awh cute. Wish I knew he was leaving me for 20 minutes, but this was worth the worry and confusion. What a sweet daddy move!
So, he takes Bridger and places him under the slide platform. After trying to bury the "treasure map" in 2 inches of loose sand, he gives up and hollers to the kids excitedly, "Kids, come here! Look what Bridger's found!" The kids come roving over, and when they look at the map, they get pretty worked up. Brooke congrats Bridger while Spencer starts to study the map. Brian points out the pictures and asks if anything looks familiar. "The slide is here." he remarks. Brooke takes her eyes to it, "Hey look, the merry-go-round is there too!" "Well, let's go there!" Brian says encouragingly.








At the merry-go-round Brooke immediately tells a brown haired four year old girl about the map her baby brother dug up. She is so excited, "You can come too. Want to find the treasure?!" I quickly let Brooke know that the girl's parents need her to stay with them.

Next, the map said to "dinosaur stomp" to the rendition of a bathroom. Stomp stomp stomp! Rrrrrr!







Where is the "W" shaped tree that this map shows??? Hmm... "Is it over there?" inquires Spencer.
Dad steps in, "I think it's over there, guys. Do you see it?"
"Oh yeah, over there!" they say as they run to the "W" tree.
Per map: "Run to the big pine tree."
Were running! But, there are many pine trees here, and they all seem so big! Which one?
"It's the one on the right, kids." directs Brian.
Okay. Now we are at the big pine tree. Where next? What does the map show?
Duck pond. Where is the duck pond? There is a duck in the grass over there!
"Kids go to the water with the ducks." Brian says.
Here are the ducks! Quack Quack!
Next: "Walk slowly over the bridge."
...Daddy looks like he is going to tip over with Bridger! Just kidding!
We are close to the treasure! Where is it? Not in these trees near the water.
Oh look! It is in the rocks! Skull and crossbones - must equal TREASURE!
What could be inside? What would pirates have in here that would be so special to them that they would hide it???
YEAH! Pirate "gold" and gum! Always what any pirate needs. :)
Thanks for going with us on this treasure hunt. I'll have to tell them about this post. They will be so proud that everyone knows what great treasure hunters they are. I think Brooke and Spencer will always make sure to tell others about this special treasure hunt.
I am glad to have such great treasures in my life; Brian, Brooke, Spencer and Bridger (and any other family member(s) in the future).
Happy "Treasure" Hunting to you!

No comments: